What is Mercabarna?
Mercabarna is a food city that operates 24 hours a day with the aim of guaranteeing the supply of fresh food to the public. The facility houses 600 companies specialising in the distribution, preparation, importing and exporting of fresh and frozen products.
At Mercabarna you can find:
- The Barcelona wholesale markets:
- Central Fruit and Vegetable Market
- Central Fish Market
- Mercabarna-flor (located in Sant Boi de Llobregat, in a building next to Barcelona Airport)
- The Complementary Activities Zone (ZAC) where we find:
- Companies specialising in the handling, ripening, preparation, packaging, conservation, distribution, importing and exporting of all types of fresh and frozen products.
- The purchasing centres of the large food distribution chains (supermarkets, greengrocer chains, etc.) that source their fresh produce in Mercabarna.
- Companies that specialise in supplying the catering industry.
- Logistics companies specialising in food and other support services: large cold-chain logistic operators, transport companies, quality control laboratories, packaging companies, auto repair shops, banks, restaurants, hotels, petrol stations, day-care centres, chemists, IT companies, courier services, consulting firms, hardware stores, etc.
Mercabarna is in the Zona Franca area of Barcelona, an unbeatable strategic location from a logistics point of view, which helps when it comes to receiving and dispatching goods by land, sea and air. Only a few kilometres away is El Prat Airport, the Port of Barcelona, the road transport terminal, the railway freight station, the Llobregat road junction with direct access to the urban ring roads and external motorways and, 10 kilometres away, the centre of Barcelona.
Area of influence
Mercabarna is without doubt one of the main European fresh food markets, with 2 million tonnes sold annually and distributed across Catalonia, Spain and many countries worldwide. In total, Mercabarna supplies fresh products to around 10 million consumers.
The Food Hub of the Mediterranean-Barcelona®
Its unbeatable location and the sheer volume and variety of fresh produce that moves daily, place Mercabarna in a privileged position to be established as the Hub food of Mediterranean-Barcelona ®, the great Mediterranean Center of fresh food distribution at the international level, but also in a space of reference in terms of management and operation of a food estate (innovation, training, environment, etc.).