Mercabarna users -wholesalers and buyers- have a range of services and infrastructures to facilitate the task of separating waste.
The Green Point
This is a specialised collection facility located inside Mercabarna where the wholesale companies of the Central Markets and CAZ as well as retailers can separately dispose of the waste from their commercial activity (organic matter, cardboard, plastic, wood, expanded polystyrene, etc.). A series of specialist companies are then responsible for recycling the collected waste.
Opening hours and days of the Green Point
- Wholesalers' area
- Operating 24 hours a day from 7 am Monday to 1 pm Saturday (except 3 am to 6 am when it is closed for maintenance tasks).
- Buyers' area
- Buyers of fruits and vegetables: Monday to Friday 9.30 am to 5 pm (provided they are days on which the Central Fruits and Vegetable Market is open)
- Buyers of fish: Tuesday to Saturday between 12 midnight and 8.30 am (provided they are days on which the Central Fish Market is open)
The retailers who come to buy at Mercabarna and use the Green Point to deposit their waste can get the Certificate for using the Green Point, which will enable them to save on the waste collection rate in their municipality.
Requirements for obtaining this certificate:
- Certify use of the facility through the card reader, to enter and exit.
- For identification purposes, the annual season ticket or prepaid card will be used to access the estate. For this reason, certificates cannot be issued to companies who do not use this system.
- As a general rule, certificates will be issued for periods of one year. If you want a certificate for a period of less than a year, this must be specifically requested.
Contact the Green Point
- Telephone: 93 556 33 07
- Email: puntverd(ELIMINAR)@mercabarna.cat
Containers in the Central Markets
All pavilions of the central markets have containers/compactors where wholesale operators can separately deposit organic matter, plastic containers, cardboard, wood, etc. Companies from these centres that generate high amounts of waste (more than half a pallet) must take it directly to the Green Point and not leave it in the containers.
Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP)
Mercabarna has a Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) which services the Slaughterhouse and Central Fish Market and enables them to comply with EU, Spanish and regional regulations in matters of wastewater with full suitability guarantees.