Security and telecommunications
It is one of Mercabarna’s priorities to ensure that the users of the Food Unit benefit from a highly professional, comprehensive and efficient security service.
Vehicle access control
Mercabarna is a closed precinct with access control for all vehicles.
Professional security team
- A team of professional security personnel consisting of some sixty people (market guards, traffic agents, environment agents, facility supervisors, etc.) provide a round-the-clock security service so that everyone can get on with their work unhindered and with the greatest confidence.
- This team of professional security personnel has been trained, amongst others, in security, fire prevention, first aid and traffic direction. They are the first to act if there is an incident affecting security at Mercabarna while awaiting the arrival of the emergency services (fire brigade, ambulance, police, etc.)..
Technology at the service of security
The security service is equipped with advanced technology such as:
- A digital CTV surveillance network consisting of some 200 IP cameras distributed throughout the entire Food Unit.
- A control centre that receives signals from all the CCTV cameras in Mercabarna and where the work of all security staff is coordinated.
- There are 800 companies in Mercabarna and every day some 25,000 people and 17,000 vehicles enter the precinct.
- The Emergency Plan, which can be activated at any time, is therefore of fundamental importance.